This system eventually became 1000s - Leyland,
2000s - Bristol, 3000s - Daimler, 4000s - Metro Scania,
5000s reserved for Leyland Titans but was never used,
6000s - Leyland National, 7000s - dual purpose vehicles.
The 68 route (Aigburth to Seaforth) was the first route to be converted to one man operation with the introduction of Leyland Panthers on the 1st July 1968 with routes 46 and 99 following shortly afterwards. As with most of the country, high capacity single deck buses quickly dropped in favour with the introduction of double deck one man operation, resulting in the under utilisation of these buses. By the mid 1970s large numbers of Panthers were stored in various depots awaiting recertification.
Eventually the first were withdrawn in 1977 and during this year and 1978, 53 were sold, the majority going for scrap but 19 went to Chesterfield Corporation while 7 went to Hulley & Sons of Baslow in the Peak District.
During 1977/78, 24 were rebuilt to single door layout by removing the centre doors and installing luggage racks and in 1979 a small number, including 1039 which is also now preserved, ventured across to the Wirral Division for a few months until the delivery of some Leyland Nationals.
Back to 1054, it had managed to survive with both doors and was eventually withdrawn in April 1981, the final year of Liverpool's Panthers, after working from Prince Alfred Road, Speke and finally Garston garages. After withdrawal, it passed to Liverpool Speke Airport Authority for use on passenger terminal transfers. Here it saw intermittent use for a number of years before becoming surplus with the opening of the new terminal buildings.
It was donated to the Mersey and Calder BPG for preservation in 1989 and was stored until 2007, when it received considerable restoration at Burscough. Sister Panther 1076 was recovered from a layby in Ambergate during February 2008 and this provided some much needed spare parts for 1054, which returned to Liverpool's streets for the 2008 Running Day, and now appears at many MTT events.