1162 was first registered in April 1971 and was one of the second batch (1151-1175)
of double door ‘Jumbo’ Atlanteans delivered to the Merseyside Passenger Transport
Executive between April and June 1971. The first batch (1111-1150) arrived in 1969/70
and the last batch (1176-1235) in 1971/72.
1162 entered service in the South Division from Prince Alfred Road depot (P.A.R.) on
23rd May 1971 and spent her early years serving mostly the
south of the city (60, 61, 73, 79 etc) and was in the first livery of dark green with cream
On 18th March 1973, she received her first repaint of the then new MPTE livery of
Verona green & Jonquil cream and the MPTE catherine-wheel logo with Merseyside
On 1st March 1977, she was withdrawn from service for her B4 dock (overhaul) at
Edge Lane Works, on her C.O.F. expiry. She was repainted in April 1977 and
re-trimmed internally. Externally she lost her polished ribbed aluminium base trim in
favour of plain painted aluminium sheet.
Following overhaul and repaint she was to serve the remainder of her service in the North Division, so from 1st May 1977 she was allocated to Green Lane, before being relocated again on 11th September 1978 to Gillmoss.
In February 1982, 1162 was painted into the Verona green and cream livery with brown window surrounds, and later brown lower skirt. On 1st April 1983, she was finally withdrawn from service in Liverpool and was one of the 29 Jumbo Atlanteans selected to be sold to the Isle of Man Transport Authority for further service.
She was shipped to the Isle of Man on 26th June 1983, and was the only bus from the second batch of Jumbos to go into service in July 1983, re-registered MAN 1378, with fleet number 46, still in her MPTE livery. In autumn 1984, she received an overall advertising livery of mainly black, and in 1985 was repainted into the Isle of Man livery. In November 1991, her fleet number was changed from 46 to 77 to make way for newer buses, and she was finally withdrawn from service in the autumn of 1993.
She was bought for preservation in December 1993 and was stored at Douglas Railway Yard for around five years. In 1997, she took part in a Merseyside Bus Club tour of the island, but eventually the owners gave the bus to a Merseyside enthusiast driver, who brought it back to England on 14th November 1998 and stored it at Freckleton, near Preston, for a couple of years.
In October 2000, a member of the Merseyside Transport Trust took ownership and moved her to the Trust’s base at Burscough. Her engine was removed during 2003/2004 to replace a seal on the flywheel, but the job was never completed. Further changes of ownership have taken place within the membership of the Merseyside Transport Trust, and work to replace her engine and restore her to the MPTE’s second livery of Verona green and Jonquil cream (which she wore from 1977 until 1982) continued.
The current owner acquired her in March 2010 and commenced work by refitting the remainder of the seat frames after they had been stripped and repainted. Also, the cab heater was removed, cleaned and repainted. Damaged panels on the nearside were removed for replacement and this revealed some rot on the lower struts. On Saturday 13th April 2013, after much work, 1162 finally moved under her own power for the first time in many many years.
In the four years since her latest change of ownership, she has had amongst other work carried out, her leaking gearbox oil seal replaced, engine & gearbox cleaned, repainted and reinstalled, radiator completely reconditioned, all brake drums painted & skimmed, brake shoes relined, brake diaphragms replaced, wheels shotblasted and painted, new set of recut tyres fitted, entire new exhaust system (flexible downpipe, silencer boxes & tailpipe) manufactured & fitted, new batteries, fuel filters, rocker gaskets, new alternator belts / power steering belts, and fuel & water hoses replaced.
Some panels have been replaced, and all bodywork was prepared for a shiny new verona & cream livery with green Merseyside Transport logos, new black & silver front registration number plate (the rear one is already fitted in glass) and brand new '1162' fleet plates.
Many people have helped with this restoration project, far too many to name here, and it has been a great team effort, but in particular many thanks must go to Mr Steve Wood, whose vast knowledge, experience, expertise and patience has driven the project forwards to where it is today. His ability and willingness to teach and mentor has helped the current owner achieve this mammoth task whilst learning how to repair, maintain & care for the vehicle in the future.
During October 2013, 1162 was repainted by Brian Moore and some finishing touches added and her restoration is finally complete. A very big thank you to Brian for his hard work. The whole restoration has been a fantastic team effort and thanks to everyone who has helped in any way
In October 2013 the bus made its preservation passenger-carrying debut, and will feature in many events during 2014.