1449 was new to MPTE Wirral division Laird Street in April 1974 in the
blue and cream livery. It was stolen from Laird Street depot around
December 1983 and de-roofed under the Green Lane bridge in
Birkenhead. It was transferred to Southport Canning Road for conversion
to open top re-entering service for the 1984 summer season in Southport
painted in the red and cream livery.
It was transferred to Liverpool in 1989 and repainted into a green, blue
and white livery for the short lived City Heritage Shuttle service, returning
to Southport by 1992 and again being painted red and cream. 1449
passed over to Arriva on the takeover of MTL in 2000 and was repainted
into the Arriva corporate livery at that time, eventually being given the
fleet number 3980, and spending the 2009 summer season working in
Withdrawn after the 2011 season with no less than 39 years' service, it was collected from Canning Road on Saturday 17th March 2012, going straight to Burscough to join our collection. 1449 has participated in many football homecoming parades over the years, on some occasions working alongside our other open top Atlantean, 1551.
Below: pictures of 1449 at various times in its 39-year operational career. Above: 1449 in its newly-restored condition.