L227 was part of a batch of 34 Leyland Titan PD2/20s, ordred in 1955, numbered L211 – L244 with Crossley bodywork similar to those on Liverpool’s first AEC Regent Vs delivered at the same time. L211–L224 arrived as complete vehicles, with the remainder, L225–L244, being delivered in a basic frame-only condition to be completed by the Corporation’s own staff at Edge Lane Works.
New in May 1956, L227 along with its sisters L225/6/8/9 were allocated for most of their working life to Litherland garage. All Liverpool’s Leyland PD2 Titans were allocated to garages serving the North and the East of the City (except for a small number used on the City Circle service in the mid 1960s).
L227 passed to Merseyside Passenger Transport Executive (MPTE) on its formation in December 1969 and in the following January, it was transferred to Gillmoss were it remained until November 1975. Re-allocated to Green Lane, L227 joined the last of the remaining ex-Liverpool Titans remaining in service mainly used on peak hour and industrial workings. It became the last ex-Liverpool rear loader remaining in service until it too was withdrawn on 10th January 1977 as a result of major service cuts when large numbers of vehicles were withdrawn.
Shortly prior to withdrawal, the Mersey & Calder BPG organised a farewell tour using L227 on a route tour on a freezing day. From this tour the Merseyside Bus Club was formed. After withdrawal in 1977, the MPTE kindly donated L227 to the Mersey & Calder BPG, (now the Merseyside Transport Trust), for preservation.
Over the next 20 years, the group rallied L227 extensively throughout the UK. After being mothballed since 1991, it went back into action in January 2017, exactly 40 years after withdrawal by the MPTE.